The Global Accounting Alliance (GAA) was formed in November 2005 and is an alliance of 10 leading professional accountancy bodies in significant capital markets. It was created to promote quality services, share information and collaborate on important international issues. The GAA works with national regulators, governments and stakeholders, through member-body collaboration, articulation of consensus views, and working in collaboration where possible with other international bodies, especially the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC).
The Alliance facilitates a co-operation between 10 of the world's leading professional accounting organisations:
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (CPA Canada)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer in Deutschland e.V. (IDW)
- The Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (JICPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
These organisations represent close to 1,000,000 members in over 180 countries around the globe.